Monday, February 4, 2008

What is it all about

I go to work everyday, work my hours, and come home for dinner, I spend time with my wife and my cats, go to sleep, and do it all over again. I am almost finished with school, have a great job, and can pay the bills. We take great trips( Costa Rica in a week) and have carved a nice little piece in the world....But what is it all about?

I found out today at work ( I will not mention my place of business because the corporation forbids talking about it) that one of my fellow employee's was murdered in a robbery at a Lane Bryant store in Tinley Park. Although I did not know her ( her father worked works with us and I know him), I somehow am deeply moved by this. She worked a few floors below me( we had the same elevator bank) and it makes me wonder if I ever shared a nicety with her, or said good morning. I have no idea what she looks like( besides her picture in the Tribune), but I know that I could have been a general proximity to her.

She was shot in the head, along with five other women, as they shopped. She was 22, a paralegal with my company, and had just graduated college last year. It has moved me to ask..Is this what it's all about?

I've done my time( so to speak), struggling through the early twenties, struggling to pay bills, and get through school, and keep a relationship intact. It's a hard life for some, but I think I have made it harder by being so pessimistic all the time. This girl may have had a hard life( who knows) but what is certain is that she worked hard, got through college, got a job, and on a cloudy morning decided to go and buy some work suits for the winter months. A man entered, tied her up, and executed her for no reason other than she was there. Is that what we have to look forward to? Are we predestined to suffer( some of us)? Is this what God has in store for us?

This world is not safe, and the more I get older, the more I realize that we are all susceptible to crime, and poverty, and terrorism, and heartache. What I am asking is, can anyone really know when it is there time when this world has nothing for us but hatred, and murderers roaming the streets. I know some of my friends live downstate, but the lines of smalltown and big city are pretty vague when it comes to animals who murder without remorse. I just hope we all TRY and be nice to one another, and remember the good times, and think about what we have over whaat we don't. Sorry if this was preachy, but like I said I have been pretty moved by this ordeal.

For Sara

1 comment:

*mar* said...

Yeah, that was a bit preachy, you hit the nail on the head. I feel the same way about schools too. These kids nowadays can't even go to school and feel safe. Let alone growing up and going to work, or going to buy clothes for work. You're right...what is it all about?