Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Dan Auerbach - Keep It Hid

I had first heard about the Black Keys through a co-worker of mine named Paul. He swore by these guys and burned me a compilation CD. Of course I took the CD and lost it. Two years went by and I eventually found the CD tucked away in a drawer. It was covered with rubber glue that I had used on a science experiment for an Earth Science class at the College of Dupage. I took the CD, gently removing the rubber glue, and cleaned it. When I listened to it, I was completely amazed. Dan Auerbach is the multi-instrumentalist and vocalist in the Black Keys. When I saw the first review on Ain't It Cool News.Com I immediately came home to download this. Here is my review.

1. Trouble Weighs a Ton - Very good track 1, with some great acoustic strums.

2. I Want Some More - Definitely something reminiscent of the Loving Spoonful-if an amalgam of John Sebastian picked up Jack White's guitar.

3. Heartbroken, In Disrepair-The beginning could be the opening of a random TV show about the judicial system. It slowly finds itself and for a second it could be late-80's Fogerty.

4. Because I Should-A lot of computerized noises in the beginning. It seems hard to find it's place on the record. A few seconds of noise really.

5. Whispered Words (Pretty Lies) - Just the name gives this song hope. I am amazed how Auerbach goes from sounding like John Sebastian, to John Fogerty, to Wayne Coyne (Flaming Lips). This song could just as well been on the last Modest Mouse CD.

6. Real Desire - Yes a standard Napoleon Dynamite, Beat Drum and Organ mix. It has been awhile!!

7. When the Night Comes - This is what I was waiting for! I can only see this song on some car commercial a few months down the road.

8. Mean Monsoon - Sounds like me after a few guitar lessons and some Clapton/Allman-esque guitar parts.

9. The Prowl - Sound fits the title. You feel like you are on a prowl.

10. Keep It Hid - Title cut and another beat drum. Singing through a bullhorn is still not very original.

11. My Last Mistake - I like it. May be worth buying the whole album if you do not take my word.

12. When I Left the Room -Another tight cut.

13. Street Walkin' - Again

14. Goin' Home - A nice little diddy for the close.

I am pretty convinced that Dan kept all the great tracks for the end of the record. Overall four thumbs up.

Ryan

No comments: