Saturday, October 25, 2008

Past Albums-Revisited-Metallica's Load

I decided I am going to review some great albums from my youth and talk about them. Since my friend Mar is the only person who actually reads my blog (and given that her fiance talks a big game but never comments), I guess she will be the only one who enjoys these little blogs. Oh Well.

Artist: Metallica.

Album: Load.

Year: 1996.

This album was it for me, the introduction into the world of Metallica. Of course I had heard Enter Sandman and Sad But True from their previous album, but when I saw the video for "Until It Sleeps", I began what would be a magnificent quest to be an absolute Metallica fan.

Track List and description:

Ain't My Bitch-The song brings back the memories of riding in my El Camino down the mean streets of Gilman, Illinois-wondering who my bitch was.

2 X 4-no comment

The House Jack Built-a great song and the first non-single song of Metallica's I enjoyed.

Until It Sleeps- Lars Ulrich with Mascara and a bluesy opening. This was complete opposite of Enter Sandman and was what hooked me.

King Nothing-The video had Metallica in the woods. It always reminds me of winter.

Hero Of The Day-John Mayer called the solo in this song his favorite. Basic and powerful.

Bleeding Me-Listen to the guitar solo and then try and tell me that Kirk Hammett isn't amazing

Cure-no comment

Poor Twisted Me-no comment

Wasting My Hate-no comment however the live version is amazing.

Mama Said-James singing to his dead mother. When you see him do this song solo and alone on stage with an acoustic guitar, you can feel how much pain inside.

Thorn Within-no comment

Ronnie-no comment

The Outlaw Torn-no comment.

After hearing this album, I immediatley went and saw them in concert in Moline, Illinois. I will never miss a Metallica concert when it comes around. They are just too good.

2 comments:

CubsFan said...

"King Nothing" is the best song on that album. The menacing bass line that opens the song sinks it's teeth into the listener and never lets go.

*mar* said...

:) I love being able to revisit old favorites. It's funny, last night there was a song on at Chili's (i know...i know...) and I was talking with Heather K and as soon as I heard the song, I was brought back to fall, the first concert Chris and I went to before we started dating, and more. :) That's the beauty of revisiting music, right?