Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The End

Right now I am sitting in the back of a Chevy Traverse riding down Highway 131 heading towards Vail. I may not survive the car ride because my mother in law insists on driving 90 miles an hour on the curviest roads I have ever been on. So if this is the last blog post I might as well update everyone on the trip to Colorado.

Let me start by repeating that I am on a trip with my wife, sister-in-law, and the aforementioned mother-in-law. The three of them together is like watching three chimps try to put together a jigsaw puzzle. These woman refuse to communicate in anything other than grunts and mumbles and hold any information they may have like cold war spies. It is a cluster to say the least and a tremendous source of agitation for me. Add an 8 month old who I have to keep tabs on, and this is as much of a vacation as a dime stint in Folsom Prison.

On Saturday we arrived and drove up to Steamboat Springs from Denver. The ride was ok but being stuck in the back seat makes me sick to my stomach. I must mention that my sister-in-law refuses to ride in the car while I am driving because I get impatient with not having the right directions. That's right, as a 30 year old man I am to take orders from my sister-in-law. It sucks but it seems to be how my wife wants to conduct the marriage. So I take orders, get berated, and crapped on by all woman in the family. Oh well.

So once we reached Steamboat Springs we went to the Rodeo where we enjoyed great BBQ and the show.

On Sunday we awoke to go have brunch. This is another of my in-laws must haves. If there is a brunch or a cheap breakfast deal it is imperative to make the time to go. In this case we needed to take a gondola all the way up the mountain to have brunch, take the gondola all the way down to go back to the condo, then back up so we could hike down. The hike was great and we were starving when we came back down. We grilled kebobs.

On Monday we went white water rafting and had blast. The rapid had one class 3 rapid and several class 2. On the last class 2 the raft guide let us dive from the raft and ride the rapid on our backs. This was amazing.

On Tuesday I hiked the mountain alone and was able to get some great shots. The wife and I went on a little date into town and went to a little make your own steak place. The only bad part was they did not depoop the shrimp, leaving my wife to envy my Ribeye.

This morning we awoke early to hike to a waterfall and then quickly went back to pack, shower, and get on the road. By late afternoon we should be in Denver. Then home in Chicago back where there is work, and chores, and no In Laws.

No comments: