Monday, March 9, 2009

The CTA nightmare

I have mentioned quite a few times my disdain for the Chicago Transit Authority. Today sealed the deal.

After a quick walk down Wabash Avenue to Macy's( I was trying on a new suit), I found myself at the height of rush hour needing a train back home. Now as any Chicagoan will tell you, trying to board a train during rush hour can be a stressful experience.

In the Randolph station of the Red Line, I stood for almost thirty minutes waiting for a train I could board. Each train shooting down the tube was filled to the brim with people. Then came one that was somewhat empty. I saw an opening, and new this was the train for me. The doors open and at the opening of the door comes a handicapped woman trying to get off of the train. The problem with that is there is a gap between the train and the platform. The train was delayed for almost another ten minutes while the woman waited for a CTA official to show up with a ramp that sits between train and platform, so the woman can get off. Then the doors closed before anyone could board and the train left. The next train came and was packed.

This was enough for me. At this point I was forty minutes behind schedule and wanted desperately to get home to work on my paper that is due this week. I finally left the Red Line, walked up the steps and headed for the Brown Line where I found an easier time boarding a train. I walked into the apartment at 6:05.

When is the CTA going to get its act together. Security on the train sucks, the workers are either talking to the cops assigned to watch the stations, or they are on their cellphones. Isn't there a rule that you cannot use your cell phone while you are working? I cannot sit at work all day and talk on my cell phone.

I wish in my deep hidden wishes that I keep in my heart that I could be the CEO of the CTA for one week. I would deplete the existing workforce and give the jobs to people who want to work sans cell phones.

** Addition- Someone got stabbed hours earlier a stop away. Security and/or the Chicago PD was probably standing around doing nothing.

Ryan

No comments: